mayo 09, 2012

¿Cachai? | Chilean slang


www.condorito.cl

If there is a slang word you should know when talking to a Chilean it is cachai. It comes from the verb cachar which means to understand. We conjugate it at times, but we most use it as cachai, a filler.
Here  are some examples when I would use this filler when talking to my friends:

Si hay un modismo que debes saber cuando hables con chilenos es cachai. Viene del verbo cachar que significa entender. Lo conjugamos a veces, pero lo usamos más como muletilla. Aquí hay algunos ejemplos de los usos de esta muletilla cuando hablo con mis amigos:

My friend: "So, what happened after?"
Me: "Cachai I went to my house and..."  ( here it would translate into so)
Mi amigo: "Entonces, ¿qué pasó después?"
Yo: "Cachai que fui a mi casa y..." ( aquí se traduciría como so)

My friend: "If the party is there I don't really want to go, cachai?" ( meaning you know, you see)
Me: "Yeah, I guess it is not very easy to return home."
Mi amiga: "Si la fiesta es allá, la verdad es que no quiero ir cachai?" ( significado: you know, you see)
Yo: "Si. No es muy fácil volver a la casa."

My friend: "I am happy living here cachai, it is just that I don't like my job" ( you know)
Me: "Yeah, I understand."
Mi amiga: "Estoy contenta viviendo aquí cachai, pero no me gusta mi trabajo" ( you know)

Yo: "Claro, te entiendo."

If you look online there are many sites that translate cachai as do you get it? which is actually correct, it can mean that, but in English you do not add do you get it? to the beginning, middle or end of a question or sentence in every conversation. Cachai is a filler and it can mean different things, or not even have a meaning at times. We use cachai a lot. It is a common filler for young people to use. It is very informal though, so be aware of that. It is important to know it because you will hear it every time you are engaged in a conversation with Chileans, cachai? :-)

Si miras en internet, hay muchos sitios web que traducen cachai  como do you get it? lo que es correcto en muchos casos. Pero, en inglés no se agrega do you get it? al principio, al medio o al final de cada pregunta u oracion en cada conversación. Cachai es una muletilla que puede tener diferentes significados, o incluso no tener ninguno. Usamos mucho el cachai. Es una muletilla común para la gente joven. Pero ten en cuenta que es muy informal. Es importante conocerla porque la escucharás mucho cada vez que te encuentres conversando con chilenos, ¿cachai?

¡Saludos!

Spanish Anytime
www.spanishanytime.com

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

¡Saludos!